THE BERNARDAUD STORY
Family roots deep in Limoges, France
The story of French porcelain begins in 1768 when a woman from the village of Saint-Yrieix La Perche near Limoges discovers a soft, white clay that she uses to bleach her household linens. Experts would identify this substance as kaolin: the crucial, long sought after ingredient that is responsible for the resiliency, durability and flawless iridescent translucency of fine porcelain. The search for this “secret ingredient” had lasted four centuries since Marco Polo’s discovery of Chinese porcelain. The discovery of kaolin in France marked the birth of industrial and cultural significance of Limoges porcelain.
Against this historical backdrop two enterprising industrialists, noticing an increase in consumer use of porcelain dinner services, open a factory in Limoges in 1863. The construction of railroad lines in the area offered means of distribution of their product to more markets. A workshop apprentice named Léonard Bernardaud distinguished himself among the workers. Twenty years later, he would be promoted to head of sales and later named partner.
Léonard Bernardaud acquired the company in 1900 and gave it his name. He increased production capacity of the factory and opened up new markets, notably in the United States. Leonard was succeeded by his sons, Jacques and Michel Bernardaud. The brothers would assure the viability of the company during the turbulence of the Great Depression and World War II through collaborations with artists to expand the company's range of collections. In 1949, they boldly introduced the first gas-fueled tunnel kiln in France that operated 24 hours a day. This “green initiative” ensured constant firing temperatures that yielded sturdier pieces in greater quantity with fewer defects. As a result, industrial scale production was achieved without compromise to the high standards of craftsmanship based on artisan techniques for which the company is known.
In 1962, Pierre Bernardaud assumed direction of the company and reorganized its business model. A production facility was opened in 1979 in Oradour-sur Glane for the manufacture of all white porcelain pieces and in 1986 the Ancienne Manufacturer Royale was acquired. During the 1980’s under his stewardship, modernization in the facility and processes were introduced (such as the isostatic press) that resulted in greater production output and enhanced product quality.
Creativity continues to drive the strategic imperatives of the company. Pierre Bernardaud commissions designer Raymond Loewy to develop the first contemporary porcelain dinner service. The company launches the first television advertising campaign with a jingle that stills resonates in the collective consciousness of the French. Pierre Bernardaud was undeniably masterful and forward-thinking in the technical, artistic fields as well as marketing.
In 1979, Pierre Bernardaud invited his son Michel to join the company and to help develop the brand globally. Michel Bernardaud became chairman in 1994 and represents the fifth generation of family leadership. He continues to modernize the production facilities while preserving the savoir faire of time-honored artisan techniques particularly in the execution of custom orders. Michel Bernardaud strives to increase the activity and public awareness of the company---one of the few remaining manufacturers in Limoges that is still family owned and operated---by upholding the philosophy of his forefathers: preservation of technical expertise, the tradition of creativity and a passion for innovation.
Call our store at 626-399-0536 to place an order